top of page

Required Documentation

Updated: Nov 6, 2023

To sell your home in the UK you'll need to have the following documents. Proof of ownership, property questionnaire form, energy performance certificate, and some other paperwork depending on your type of property. Although it can look intimidating they are mostly straightforward and you can always ask your Zump assistant if you need help.

Proof of ownership

When you decide to sell your home you’ll need to be able to show proof of ownership. The proof of ownership consists of the property deeds from the land registry that records the ownership of a property and the accompanying land.

Where can I get them?

The Deeds should have been provided to you by your Solicitor. They are also stored with the land registry and you can search by address to find yours. Most are downloadable and cost £3.

Proof of ID

To fulfill Anti Money Laundering regulations, your Solicitor will also require a copy of your ID (passport or driving licence) and current home address via a recent utility bill or bank statement

Property Information Questionnaire or TA6

The TA6 Property Information Form is designed to give the buyer important information on the property you’re selling.

The form has various sections, each addressing areas of the property, including boundaries and access, alterations and modifications made, and insurance and utility providers. You can download the form here. Generally, your solicitors will help you with most of the form.

How to approach the form:

Gather Essential Documentation

Assemble pertinent documents, including planning permissions, warranties, and certificates related to alterations and installations.

Be Thorough

Don’t rush through the form, complete the TA6 form meticulously, ensuring accuracy.

Offer Comprehensive Responses

Address each question comprehensively, even if the query seems irrelevant. If certain questions are not applicable, indicate so rather than leave them unanswered and say if you don’t know.

Prioritise Transparency

Disclose all pertinent details, including potential drawbacks or issues. Any failure to disclose all the information means the buyer could be due compensation or refuse to complete the purchase.

Consult Professionals if Needed

When confronted with legal or technical queries, consider seeking advice from professionals like solicitors or surveyors.

Review and Validate

Meticulously review the information provided, guaranteeing its precision.

If you need any help you can chat with us in-app or email us on

EPC Certificates

As you’ve decided to sell your home you will need a valid Energy Performance (EPC) Certificate. It employs a scale ranging from A to G to rate the property's energy performance, where A signifies high efficiency and G indicates lower efficiency. The EPC certificate for UK properties additionally provides tailored recommendations for boosting energy efficiency, along with approximate costs associated with these enhancements. How to find your homes EPC

You can find your homes EPC here on the government website. EPC certificates are valid for 10 years so your home may have a valid one. If not or you want a new one to see where you can make improvements many companies offer them such as edf. Why EPC Certificates Matter

  • You need an EPC to sell your home

  • Improving your home EPC rating has a direct result on the it’s price. Improving a home from a G to an A rating could increase the price by 14%

  • Energy Efficiency Awareness: EPC certificates allow buyers to gauge the energy performance of a property. They offer valuable insights into energy consumption patterns and practical suggestions for curtailing energy use.

  • Financial Gains: Embracing energy-efficient practices translates to reduced energy bills, contributing to significant long-term savings. Furthermore, elevating energy efficiency can enhance a property's value and desirability within the UK's real estate market.

  • Helping the environment by lowering our carbon footprint:

Other Documents

Certificates needed

Fensa certificate for doors and windows

If you’ve had your windows or doors replaced you’ll need to provide this certificate that confirms the installer complied with building regulations and that they have been registered with your local council. You can search for these on FENSA or

Gas Safety

While not a legal requirement it’s recommended that you have gas appliances regularly checked for your own safety. If you have your boiler serviced you will have an up to date certificate.

Electrical Checks

You need an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) to sell your home if you’ve extended or altered the wiring in your home since 2005. This proves that works done were inline with building regulations. You’ll need to provide the Buildings Regulations Compliance Certificate and the EIC or a minor Electrical Installation Works certificate.

If you’re missing this you can check your local authority website for a downloadable copy or go to the NICEEIC website. Alternatively, you can ask a qualified electrician to check the works and give you an Electrical Installation Condition Report.

Planning Permission

If you’ve made significant changes to your property (e.g. renovations or extensions) you would need to prove that you had consent and approvals or planning permission. You will need to provide copies of the planning permission, building regulations approvals and completion certificates.

If you don’t have these you can apply for them retrospectively from your local authority.

Other Forms

TA10: Fixtures and contents

You’ll need to fill out this form which states what’s included and excluded in the sale. It’s an exhaustive form that covers everything from the boiler and appliances to carpets and cupboards. This form is legally binding and you could be fined if you later take things that much be included.

You can download these forms and a sample from here.

TA7: For leasehold properties

If your property is a leasehold you’ll need to fill out the TA7 form which covers the basic information included in the leasehold. It covers service charges, ground rent, the buildings insurance policy and details of the management company.

You can download it from here

While there's a lot to get through it’s important not to rush through these and be careful and methodical to make sure your sale is a smooth process. If you need any help you can chat with us in-app or email us on if you have any questions.


bottom of page